Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Lady Liberty

David and I went to the Statue of Liberty a couple of weeks ago, It was a total tourist destination, but completely worth it.


We packed peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, as we knew there wouldn't be a lot of inexpensive dining options.  Turns out there weren't many dining options at all, the execption was the ice cream and pretzel truck.  I suppose it would have done.


The line was extremely long, but this guy was offering his talents as intertainment, but he only knew one song... and it wasn't that great, I wish I could remember the song!

There were ferry boats as transport to the islands, but in order to get on the boat, you had to go through airport type security, metal detectors and all. David was asked what was in his pocket, it was the tickets for the ferry. The guy was really rude.  It was really diserning.  



The ferry was crowded and people were quite pushy, but look at those clouds! It was a beautiful day.



This guy was totally ruining everyones photo op of Lady Liberty...




But there she is, in all her glory



Really amazing


I was more excited to visit Ellis Island which housed the original building that the immigrants were processed in than liberty island which is where the statue of liberty is, but it was really amazing to see the statue up close. 



Everyone has cameras right?, well there was a group of guys trying to sell photos that they would take for you!  They were yelling "Photos, Photos everyone, get your photos..."  It was funny.




And don't forget the the souveniers!  These were really awesome! only 7$ for a snow globe!



I REALLY wanted these shades, but couldn't bring myself to spend 5$ on something I just wouldn't wear... I kind of regret that decision as I write this.



The best part of the day was our visit to Ellis Island.  The history here is just gravitating. Being inside this building where over 20 million people passed, with the hope of a new life, was seriously an out of body experience.  UNBELIEVABLE










3 comments:

  1. Very cool! I would LOVE to see Ellis Island! I keep thinking I want to join ancestry.com...

    Oh, I think you made a grave mistake not buying those fantastic sunglasses! xox -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great outing! It reminded me of a book I read to 3rd graders called "Picnic in October", by Eve Bunting. And I agree with Amy - what awesome shades!!! Love ya, Theresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are wonderful, Kate. You didn't mention that the statue itself is closed. I remember a day trip to New York (I ended up with food poisoning from a visit to South Street Seaport) when we climbed up into the statue--narrow, dark, winding stairs all the way up to the observation deck. I also remember Ellis Island, a huge barn of a room where immigrants were collected and checked out for diseases, etc. Back to the statue--for ages there was scaffolding up and down that ruined any photos. Of course when I was there, I didn't take photos. Your sharing is one of the wonderful aspects of this new technology. One question: "diserning?"

    ReplyDelete